Short and Sweet Update

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The pool was closed on Monday at all times except 9am-5pm. Nice, huh? For those of us that actually had to work on this holiday, that did us no good. With that in mind, I would not be able to get in my regularly scheduled swim workout. I hadn't had an off day in a few weeks and thought that this might be a great time to take it easy for a day and heal up.

So, I did.

I ate stew, watched movies, wedding planned and screwed around with some photoshop editing methods.


Elaine (my fiancee) and I here in DC a few summers back.

It was great, but I kinda wished I could have gone swimming and built off of my great week last week.

Tuesday I had planned to go to the pool. My friend was supposed to meet me at my place and then we travel up there together, but I got a call from him 30 minutes after he said he'd be there that he just got out of a meeting at work and had to stay later. Bummer! That took the wind out of my sales a bit and motivation started to nose-dive. Doing long workouts are always easier when you've got someone doing it with you.

Never-the-less, I dragged my ass to the pool and tried to pick myself back up mentally. I was starting to get there (mentally) after I swiped my card at the desk to the pool, but then turned and looked down into the pool itself and saw nothing but MAYHEM. Half of the lanes were reserved for a masters class and the other half were simply PACKED. We're not talking 5-6 in a lane, which is the typical "busy" for M, W or F. When I got into my lane, there were 10 people already in it... and that was a less-populated lane. Jeeeeeeeeeez.

Knowing that, I had to revise my swim workout since there was NO WAY I would be able to do carefully timed/spaced set of intervals of varying distances without getting messed up by having to wait behind someone, or passing, etc. Instead, I just did 6 x 500m, un-timed. The form was kind of sloppy but I ended up being the fastest one in my lane. Perhaps I should have switched over, but I guess I preferred doing the passing and being disgruntled as opposed to being passed and feeling really slow.

I'm considering a return trip to the pool tonight to make good on some speedwork and post some respectable times. If not, then a date with the bike-trainer is at the top of the list, followed by a trip to the gym to work on the abs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP