Numbering the Days
Monday, January 25, 2010
I realized this past weekend just how limited my time left in DC actually is. When March ends, so does my life here in DC. That can make a man pretty reminiscent. Last June, I wasn't thinking it would be my last summer in DC - I was enjoying the weather, my job, my softball teams and my training. But now, I can't help but think that, with only two months left, these are actually two very important months. There are so many things I want to do for the first time (or for the 10th time) before I leave.
Anyway, I'd like to try and project this care-free attitude toward my training. Whenever I'm saying "f*ck it" in my head right as I'm about to get in the pool to do a swim workout, hopefully I can take a second and think how awesome it is that I can hop on my vespa and ride only two miles up the road and hop in a brand new 50m pool. It really is quite a luxury, and given the state of endurance sports here in DC, I'm usually in some pretty amazing company.
With that, I'll segue into catching this blog up on my workouts...
Thursday - I went to the pool with a bad attitude, swam with a bad attitude and left with only 2000m in my pocket. It was crowded, I was unmotivated and I definitely did not get the work done.
Friday/Saturday/Sunday - Flew out early to MI for a weekend full of great food, great friends, great family and a ton of wedding planning. I did get to exercise my gastronomic curiosities by indulging in one of Chef Paul Prudhomme's amazing jambalaya recipes. It was the first recipe of his that I've tried, and it definitely won't be the last.
Today...
Swim Workout - 3200m
500m - warm-up
300m - 5:15 (1:45/100m)
300m - 5:24 (1:48/100m)
300m - 5:17 (1:46/100m)
300m - 5:27 (1:49/100m)
300m - 5:24 (1:48/100m)
300m - 5:25 (1:48/100m)
300m - 5:15 (1:45/100m)
300m - 5:35 (easy)
300m - cool-down (1 w/paddles + pull-buoy)
I felt good about the first and last serious efforts (the 5:15 splits) which turned out to be PBs for the 300m distance! I held back on the first one, too! I did start out again with a bit of a sour attitude, but was able to correct it mid-swim and just focus on the immediate tasks in front of me.
A girl in the lane next to me was kind enough to let me try out her hand-paddles and pull-buoy for a lap. I've only tried them once before and I looked and felt like an ass. This time things went much much smoother. I could definitely feel the speed increase, the form correction... and the immediate fatigue in my arms. It was cool though and hopefully I can get some more practice in with these in the near future.
0 comments:
Post a Comment