Friday Intervals of DEATH! (and some other stuff)
Friday, January 15, 2010
Local duathlon aficionado turned triathlon nightmare Dirk De Heer has posted some interesting interval workouts that I've been curious to try out. They basically boil down to 50m x 1203931 times, with 10-15 sec. rest in between each. I tried my hand at an abbreviated version, which is as follows...
Interval Workout - 2800m
500m - warm-up
50m x 10* - 44, 48, 48, 48, 48, 48, 48, 49, 48, 47
50m x 10* - 45, 48, 47, 49, 47... (crappy watch only holds up to 30 "laps")
50m x 10* - averaged 47 seconds
50m x 10* - averaged 46 seconds
300m - cool-down
Hot-tub
Jump off of diving board 5 or 6 times demonstrating proper canon-ball technique.
*note: rest time btw. 50s was 10-15 seconds, 30 seconds after each 10x50m
Depart for gym for weights and abs for 1 hr...
Come home and die.
Wake up, crawl towards fridge and grab an amazing beer from the Ommegang Brewery near my future home in upstate New York.
I'M ALIVE AGAIN!!
Did I mention my watch only seems to hold 30 laps worth of information? So, my way more impressive 50m times were lost to stupidity which I didn't recognize until just now as I'm typing in the stats. I guess I'll have to figure out another method for keeping track of all of this time in the future, or just not worry about it...
I'm now home and salivating as I think about the fact that I'm merely seconds away from delving back into the world of hardcore stew production. It was amazing last time, but I'm now armed with a few ideas to take to an even greater level. Here's to a great week of swimming!
2 comments:
Great workout.
I have something similar which culminates into the "I'm ready" final workout of 40 x 50 meters on 40s. I hit it once last year before Ironman Hawaii. I'm slowly working my way back and I did mine on Friday also.
40 x 50m the first 20 left on 50 s, the next 10 left on 45s, and the last 10 left on 40s. These are a great way to add power to your swimming.
Keep it up and you'll be fishlike in no time!
This was my first 50m interval workout and it really felt great to be able to hold solid form for the entire time. In other sets where I would go 400m or beyond, I would often find my form falling off and requiring special attention, whereas here it was pretty much smooth sailing the whole way. Mentally, it was also refreshing compared to the longer efforts.
I saw that you did 6000m in the pool the other day – that’s INTENSE. Even if I could physically swim that distance, I’m not sure I could actually come up with enough things to do!
Post a Comment