Looking Both Ways

Thursday, January 7, 2010

What a year, last year. There were many "firsts," for better or worse... but things were almost completely for better.

In sports, we are taught to perpetually look ahead to the next challenge, the next training session, the next game - never backward. We're supposed to be focused on the goal in front of us. We groan when we hear football/basketball/baseball players regurgitate the same "take it one game at a time" mentality, but that's what we're all taught growing up.

At the end of the season we all want to sit back and look at what we've accomplished and find a sort of justification for our time spent, our efforts which reinforces the lifestyle we have chosen. However, looking back can be a dangerous thing to do. When you look back, there is the chance that you could somehow feel satisfied, as if you accomplished what you originally set out to do.

In triathlons, the end almost never justifies the means.

It's undeniably tempting to sit back and appreciate all of the things I was able to accomplish physically and mentally this past year. I'm proud of myself, too - very proud. But each time I pat myself on the back I'm gambling with my future goals. I had plenty of time these past couple of weeks to enjoy this new dimension of my life but the time for looking back has ended.

It was around this time last year that I decided that I wanted to take a shot at competing in a triathlon. That goal lit a fire in me. I now need to find a new way to relight that fire and push on towards what lies ahead in 2010. My injuries are starting to subside, the weather is peaking at its worst and the days are finally starting to get longer again. I don't have any specific goals for 2010 in mind when I write this except to train hard and stay injury free. I loved the journey that was triathlon-training and can't wait to dive back into it 100% again in the near future.

1 comments:

Charles Brodsky January 7, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

Good luck at Nation's and thanks for registering.

Charles Brodsky
CEO Nation's Tri

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP