My Favorite Quinoa Recipe

Sunday, January 9, 2011

You've got to be familiar with Quinoa by now. If not, at least make sure you're pronouncing it correctly (qui-no-uhh keen-wah, bitches!). This shit is super healthy and you can stuff your face with it, along with your favorite calorie-free beverage, to easily achieve that "full" sensation w/o accidentally eating too many calories. This is a staple of my non-winter diet, but I'm sure to make it sometime in the next couple weeks because I love eating it so much.

[note: I plan to add a bunch more of my favorite recipes in THIS section under the FOOD RELATED tab you see above. I hope this encourages others to share some of their favorites, too!]

* * * * * * * * *

Sean's Quinoa

STATS 
Active time: 20 minutes
Start to finish: 45 minutes
Servings: Makes 4 (side dish) servings.

INGREDIENTS
2 teaspoons grated lime zest (green only – white part is bitter)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup quinoa
1 (14- to 15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium tomatoes, diced
4 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS
1.       Whisk together lime zest and juice, olive oil, and sugar in bowl.
2.       Cook quinoa in a medium pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until almost tender - about 10-15 minutes. (should be firm, yet tender when done).
3.       Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.

NOTES
1.      Adjust the ratio of quinoa-to-vegetables based on your preference. I usually toss a few extra beans and tomatoes in there with mine.
2.      Sliced avocados and hot-sauce are a great way to add even more depth.
3.   Fresh lime-juice FTW!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP