Fattening Up Before Slimming Down - THE FAT

Monday, January 3, 2011

Thoughts, news and opinions have been building up for a few weeks, and I didn't get a chance to dump anything out of my head before the holidays. So, these next couple of posts have the potential for high-ratios of absent-minded, topic-shifting confusion. In no particular order, here we go...

Half Marathon Training Plan
I've all but decided to go with a modified version of the Hal Higdon training plan, which includes more cross-training (via cycling) and speed/tempo-work (ala the Furman plan). Of course, this is still in my head and I need to take the time to commit it to spreadsheet. As soon as that is complete in the next few days, I will post it and would very much appreciate any feedback you all might have. 

Looking Ahead to 2011
I'll skip the tacky "here are my resolutions" bullshit and just tell you what I want 2011 to be about with respect to training/racing. Racing in 2009 was great fun. Recovering in 2010 was tough, but training was great fun. I look forward to having shit-tons of fun in 2011 by racing regularly (B + C races primarily, with a few serious A races spaced way out). These B + C races are about attaining a wider array of experience (i.e. not only 5Ks chipping away at PRs), trying new things (Monster Dash!) and learning how to stay fresh by balancing training/racing... as opposed to training for a single triathlon for 7 months, then injuring yourself! :) 2011 will also be about training SMARTER and staying injury free. "Duh, asshole... we're all trying to do that..." Sure, but this whole concept is new to me so I get to say it.

Wait, wouldn't a list be a more successful way at communicating my 2011 goals?.. Damnit, I'm not deleting the paragraph I've already written. LIST!...

  • Racing - more often, more variety, more fun!
  • Be (Serious) Injury Free - no more knee issues, b/c I will be...
  • Cross-training for my cross-training - in other words, maintain a regular routine of basic strength exercises to keep shit from breaking down. Cycling cannot account for 100% of my run x-training, nor the other way around.
  • CAT 5, BITCHES - GET IT! Yep, I'm going to do at least 1 pure road-race next year and achieve my CAT 5 (aka OFFICIAL DONKEY) status. :)
  • Do more TRIs, duh - Now that I can run again, the door is wide open to get back into doing TRIs! Of course, this also means I have to reacquaint myself with the swimming pool...
  • Get flexible - THIS struck a chord.
  • STOP EATING ALL OF THAT SHIT, FATSO! - yep, I love to eat all of that greasy, nasty shit that most athletes would scoff at - chinese food, fast-food, mexican food... ALL OF IT! For years and years I would tell people (and myself) that my primarily motivation for working out was so that I can get away with eating whatever I want. Of course, that's just stupid. My knees will thank me when I take the load off.
This was surprisingly short compared to what I thought it would be. More on the race schedule in another up-coming post (because I want to get some thoughts on this too, if possible).
By the way... riding in wet, nasty, stank-ass cycling shorts b/c you forgot to wash them pull them out of the bag they were balled-up in from the last workout SUCKS.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP