BEER REVIEW: Abita Amber, Abita Brewing Company
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
I had the pleasure of enjoying my first beer from the Abita Brewing Company while on vacation in New Orleans this past holiday season. While sitting out on the balcony of our apartment after a quick twilight run through the French Quarter, I cracked open my first Abita Amber. I don't know if I was still coming off a runner's high, or perhaps lost in the euphoric sound of trombone shout-bands coming from the corner on the street below, but this beer tasted pretty damn good.
![]() |
| Ahh, the good stuff! |
APPEARANCE - 4.0
Mostly a hazy, orangish color. There's noticeable carbonation upon the pour, and you can get a medium head if you pour it right, but there's nothing prominent about it, nor does the carbonation do much to support head-retention.
SMELL - 3.5
Not much to the smell, in my opinion. Others have noted, and I can confirm, that there is the presence of the aroma of malt or breadiness. It's definitely not very strong, but on the other hand it's also not non-existent.
TASTE - 4.0
The good, malty flavor sticks out the most to me. Given my inexperience in identifying beer-flavors correctly, I want to say there is a hint of honey, but that too might just be the maltiness. Who knows. At the very least, it's a bit sweet.
MOUTHFEEL - 4.0
There's a medium to light mouth-feel that is dry, crisp (from the carbonation) and smooth. Not a ton left on my palate, but there was enough flavor to get its point across and leave you with a satisfied, malty after-taste.
DRINKABILITY - 4.5
This is a VERY drinkable beer. It doesn't try to be any more than what it is. The carbonation, mixed with a good balance of flavor makes it a perfect "after-sweat" beer. In other words, it's a great beer to drink after a hard workout!
OVERALL GRADE - B
SERVING TYPE: BOTTLE
BEER TYPE: VIENNA LAGER (AMBER?)
ABV: 4.50%
I rarely drink ambers so I don't have much to compare this to. I can say, however, that it is a thoroughly enjoyable beer that comes with great memories for me and could easily replace your favorite lawn-mower beer.
[MORE BEER REVIEWS!]

0 comments:
Post a Comment