Wednesday... No Wait, Thursday's Swim
Friday, November 13, 2009
Yesterday: Armistice Day. I was all geared up for a solid long-distance swim, but after I made the 30-minute public transit trek up to the pool, I found a sign greeting me with the message that the pool had closed for the day an hour earlier than my arrival. Crap.
No Swimming on Armistice Day!
Today: Motivation was prrrretty hard to come by today. I debated not going to the pool at all and just heading in tomorrow morning instead (got the day off), but that would've screwed up my plans to do sprints on Saturday morning before the Michigan game. Crap. That meant I had to go today...
I convinced my roommate to come along so that I wouldn't have to do the public transportation dance by myself. I normally would've taken my Vespa, but it was already dark out and raining pretty hard - not ideal conditions. The roomie is awkwardly competitive when it comes to swimming. He seemingly races to be the first one in the water, the first one off the wall and considers warm-ups to be the ultimate life-or-death swim race. Needless to say, he is out there plowing down the competition on his first two laps, but reality, in addition to everyone else in the lane, quickly catches up to him soon thereafter. He is then humbly and repeatedly forced to cling to the wall on either end of the pool to let the rest of us pass him again, and again..... and AGAIN.
Ahh, but the workout, sans motivation, looked like this...
Distance Workout - 2700m
500m - warm-up
1000m - 20:12:46 (2:01:10min/100m)
1000m - 19:35:69 (1:57:50min/100m)
200m - cool-down
SLLLOOOWWWWWW.
Definitely not my best effort, my best form, or my best results. I'm glad I was able to get out there today and get a decent workout in, considering I was very close to just mailing it in. The arms and back muscles were pretty sore from hitting the weights two days ago. I went heavy, as opposed to light, and I think that really took a toll on my shoulders and lats re: today's performance.
My schedule calls for weights tomorrow, possibly with a visit to the pool if my friend Patrick is going, wherein I will do some simple drills and lots of kick-board work. Looking forward to those sprints on Saturday AM...

0 comments:
Post a Comment