Re-Learning to Enjoy Workouts: aka Swimming Without a Watch

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I recently read an article from Matt Fitzgerald in the April issue of Triathlete Magazine that spoke a lot of the level of "fun" we have in our workouts. Granted, fun in this sense doesn't embody all definitions of the word; it tends to touch more on the mindset where you set out to accomplish certain goals in your workout and do so with positive results and a positive attitude to boot.

I've had this recurring angst with my swim workouts these last couple months and only stumble on 1 truly enjoyable workout for at least every 2 weeks of swimming. Is this normal? I mean, I've not heard of anyone enjoying their swim training, especially in comparison to their biking or running. However, I never quit on a bike/run workout and are CONSTANTLY tempted to doing so in my swim workouts.

In run/bike workouts of the past, I'm usually in a constant state of motion with varying levels of exertion. Unless I'm taking the ever-so-rare bathroom break while on the bike, my mind is always locked into action. However, in swimming there are so many "rest stops" between sets where you are just sitting there on the wall catching your breath. Granted, they're only anywhere from 5-45 seconds, but my mind tends to associate each break as a mini finish-line which it then has to recover from and get me back into the competitive mindset.

It's rough, I tell ya! Arguing with yourself in your head mid-stroke... and it doesn't even take into account the heavy breathing.

But anyway, Matt's article stressed the importance of enjoying your workouts more because that positive enjoyment leads to positive results. Fun, huh? It's also important to point out that dips in attitude are only detrimental to your training if they accompany dips in your performance. Sure, we'll all get tired and worn out after doing heavy training for weeks on end, but it's only truly a bad thing if that worn-out attitude starts to make your performances suffer. And not just on one or two workouts, either.

Duh!

That could simply mean your body is revolting and needs some rest. We're talking a string of below average performances here... like 3-4 swims/bikes/runs minimum. 

With that in mind, I've made some subtle changes in an effort to help me enjoy my time in the pool more. The number one decision has been to swim without wearing my watch on many occasions. This will keep me from getting bogged down by hitting/missing timing goals. The downside of this approach is that I won't have the positive motivation associated with hitting my timing goals. Whatever. The important thing to note is that I will still time my breaks in between sets. This will allow me to focus on form and breathing and to RELAX.  I hate swimming like a maniac because I'm afraid to get a poor time.

Monday  Watchless Swim - 3000m
500m - warm-up
300m x 8, 45 second rest
100m cool-down

I swear my first 300m was almost dead on 5 minutes (I cheated and looked at the clock when I started). That felt good! But then, my energy/endurance just plummeted and I was fairly certain that respectable times after that point would not have been had. Oh well though b/c I didn't have that damn watch to haunt me.

---------------------------

Tuesday I was all ready to go on a bike ride after work but the weather SUCKED. It rained all day and then got cold. I was frozen by the time I drove the 1.7 miles from work to my house on my scooter. Then it started pouring rain again. FAIL!

So, instead I journeyed to the gym and did a plethora of cross-training exercises that were good for my abs and my knees. I also put in 1 mile on the treadmill @ 7.0mph and 1.0 incline. (PROGRESS). I've fallen way out of running shape, which is no surprise, but I've also forgotten what running fatigue feels like. I had a healthy reminder at the end of that very slow mile with muscles being activated that had laid dormant for so many months. To be prudent, I iced and medicated right once I got home. Tomorrow looks like a swimming day, perhaps followed by a short stint on the trainer.

Thursday is supposed to be GORGEOUS outside so I'm definitely penciling a good bike workout.

---------------------------

Here, have some Utah photos...

4 comments:

LesserisMore March 24, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

I've meant to comment several times, but something came up and never got back to it, so here goes.

I think Matt's point is that you can't enter every workout thinking you are going to go faster than before. It doesn't work that way. You have to accumulate fatigue, rest, recover, and repeat. In some cases, this means going slower to get faster.

Entering each workout with the mindset of "I have to be faster than before" or "I have to hold x pace" constantly derails progress. Instead, try focusing on gains you might make in your form. Maybe you swam using less strokes or you are less out of breathe. Just because the numbers don't line up, doesn't mean you aren't having a good workout. You can still record the stats, because that is a good way to measure progress over time, just don't get hung up on it.

Amanda March 24, 2010 at 1:41 PM  

Actually, i LOVE my swim workouts. But that's because I go to Masters and have a whole pool full of guys to laugh/joke with and beat up on at 5:30am. Plus, we have a great coach that gives us varied workouts. In the two years I've been going (2x/week) we've never gotten the same workout twice.
I enjoy it just as much or more than bike/run workouts...which i also LOVE.

Amanda March 24, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

oh, and love the Utah pics. Looks gorgeous. and fun.

Sean in NY March 25, 2010 at 1:23 PM  

Lesser - thanks for the advice/encouragement. I do think I often got hung up on making progress in easily quantifiable methods, like you said. I'm trying to back off that approach and focus more on the quality of my workouts. In just three swims, I think my form has already made a dramatic improvement simply because I'm thinking about IT instead of racing the clock to the wall.

Amanda - I envy your swimming atmosphere! I can't recall ever swimming the same workout with a friend at the same time and taking advantage of that "we're in this together" mentality. That atmosphere works really well on the bike so I can easily see the parallels.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP