Biking and Running (Gear) Season is Here! [UPDATED!!!]
Monday, March 8, 2010
[Scroll to bottom for update]
I'm quickly learning that the start of cycling season seems to coincide with the start of spend your money on cycling gear... season. This also goes for the other two triathlon-related disciplines: swimming + running. While the first victim of my credit card is not cycling related, it is the lesser of three purchases in either price or awkwardness. Behold, my less awkward and not-so-skin-tight swimsuit!

While great for a swim short, I'll make sure to avoid doing
any deep knee-bends while wearing these bad boys.
Two years ago I wouldn't be caught dead in this thing. Today, it just seems comfortable and doesn't falsely advertise any potential swimming prowess in the same way that wearing a jammer does. I almost went with the royal blue (sooooo close), but decided on black at the last second for the sake of possible see-throughness or color fade.
The next item on the list was purchased this past Sunday from Hudson Trail Outfitters. Feast your eyes on the 2010 Giro Saros bike helmet!
I sorely wanted to upgrade from the watermelon I wore on my head all last year to something more stylish, less awkward and much lighter. It's bad when at the end of a 3-hour training ride you're not sure what's more tired - your legs or your neck (from holding up that damn helmet). It's supposed to cost a whopping $120, but I price-matched with an online ad to bring things down to $70. NOT BAD.
I know I did this out of order, but here's a snapshot of the old watermelon I wore at the Nation's Triathlon last September.
Not only does the thing look weird,
but look at the rookie strap-adjustment job I did!
And last but not least, this purchase involves one of the more awkward experiences I can recall. You see, I had been using a specially marked stick of body-glide as my lubricant for on the bike seat...
Not just great for feet!...
NOBODY TOLD ME ABOUT UDDER BUTTER, DAMNIT! I thought all cyclists just suffered through that AWFUL feeling of "shit, I've been on the bike for a long time and something is burning..."
Not exactly.
I'm wincing as I recall times when I'd come home from a ride, hop in the shower and then SCREAM out the whiniest, girliest shriek ever heard.
Annnnnd that's the story about the first (::sigh:: but not last) time my d*ck got chaffed. And yes, that's a different story from the time when it, uhhh, fell asleep. Jesus, talk about an awkward "OH MY GOD I CAN'T FEEL ANYTHING" moment where people are wondering why you just jammed a hand down your pants while riding your bike.
Fast forward to today:
Sean is at the bike shop and asks the tall, slender woman at the desk for some help...
Her - "Hi, can I help you with something?"
Me - "Ummmm, how about these? ::points sheepishly at tubs marked "udder butter."
Her - "Oh sure - this is the one that I rub all over mine."
::awkward moment of eye contact::
Me - "UHHHHHHHHH... you, uhh, rub it on wha?.. I mean, aahh, why this one?!?"
Her - "Do you know how to use this stuff?..." ::said with a mischievous smile::
::AWKWARD MOMENT OF EYE CONTACT::
::BLUSHING STUPIDLY::
Me - "UHHHHHH, i feel like i should buy you dinner first."
She went on to explain to me that, unlike my body glide, you rub this stuff all over your chamois. Shit, I was embarrassed. She even mentioned that the same cream is used to rub down the udders on a cow. HOT, BABY! Talk about an ice-breaker!... a more single man could've easily used that opportunity to get at least a sympathy date out of all of that awkwardness!!
Stay tuned for in-depth product review of the udder butter!... just kidding.
[UPDATE]
How could I forget... with my knee feeling like it has made glowing improvements, I've gone ahead and got fitted for a new running shoe. Note, this is a shoe that does not emulate running on goose-down pillows, much like my Nike Vomeros did. Ryan made a really good point in his blog that while some running shoes may be the picture of comfort, it often leads to bad foot-striking habits which is what I think is one of the reasons I hurt myself.With that in mind, I opted for a shoe that encourages more mid-to-forefoot striking and less use-your-heal-b/c-your-shoe-is-so-padded... striking.
Behold, the new shoe. It's comfortable and does this weird/interesting thing where it almost cups your heal, just ever-so-slightly. So far so good, but I've only owned them for <2 weeks. I'd like to wear them around to start breaking them in so that when I get back from my trip this weekend I can start to experiment with actually running again.
I think I still have about 2 more days to return the shoe so if you've got any whacky objections, let me know.
[UPDATE]
How could I forget... with my knee feeling like it has made glowing improvements, I've gone ahead and got fitted for a new running shoe. Note, this is a shoe that does not emulate running on goose-down pillows, much like my Nike Vomeros did. Ryan made a really good point in his blog that while some running shoes may be the picture of comfort, it often leads to bad foot-striking habits which is what I think is one of the reasons I hurt myself.With that in mind, I opted for a shoe that encourages more mid-to-forefoot striking and less use-your-heal-b/c-your-shoe-is-so-padded... striking.
The Brooks Ghost 2
I think I still have about 2 more days to return the shoe so if you've got any whacky objections, let me know.




0 comments:
Post a Comment