I Dug Two Holes
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Friday's swim was a celebration of medium distances. No watch, no pressure, no problem.
My scooter made a friend!
Long Distances - 2500m
500m warm-up
1000m straight
1000m straight
hot-tub (only 5 minutes)
I hadn't swum those kinds of distances in quite a while so it felt good to get back out there and see if I could pace myself. I wasn't swimming overly fast, but wanted to work on even-pacing throughout the whole distance. If I had to guess, I'd say that pace worked out to somewhere around 1:48-1:50/100m. Slow, I know... but I wasn't out to break any records so who cares.
On the way home from the pool I saw this...
Porky peloton!?
-----------------------
Mmmm... dinner I had last week.
Garlicky chicken & hummus wrap, greek chicken wrap and bbq chicken wrap.
-----------------------
Saturday was a new day.
Today was my FIRST run since October 17, 2009 (Detroit Marathon - the day my knee said NO). I decided it was best to do it in a controlled environment - aka the gym, on the treadmill. I stretched out well and hopped on not knowing what to expect. Before I knew it though, it was over. I had a healthy sweat going after just 1 mile at 7mph @ 1.0 incline.
No pain. No tightness. No soreness.
PROGRESS.
-----------------------
Of course that wasn't my whole workout. I then did some weights and abs and calves for another 45 minutes or so.
I then rushed home, hopped on my bike and headed out to the friendly neighborhood Volvo dealer. I was really excited to test drive some cars - namely the V50, the S40 and the V70. For those not in the know, 2/3 of those cars are wagons. Exciting, huh? Shutup - I'm excited. They didn't have the exact car-combo that I wanted to test-drive - I had to test-drive the S40 in order to get a feel for the turbo-charged version of the engine I would most DEFINITELY get should I get this car.
As part of my test-drive, and since I don't have a car, the dealer offered to pick me up from the Metro stop nearby. So, I biked to the metro and took the train out to that stop (don't want to be sweaty for the test-drive, right?).
He then picked me up and I promptly asked that he pop the trunk so that I could put my bike in there to see how it fit. It fit - score! The rest of the test-drive was rather normal so I won't waste anymore space talking about that.
But anyway, enough about cars...
-----------------------
After the dealership, I hopped back on the bike and rode out to some neighborhood in VA where a coworker lives. I was itching for some manual labor and he was itching for some help sooooo we got to work! Part of the ride, however, had me tight-rope pedaling on the white line of a shoulder-less road. I couldn't help but think back to my comments about cyclists respecting motorists...
::forehead slap!::
At a couple points, I was even delaying traffic. I'm sorry!!
At the coworkers house I dug two holes.... BIG holes. In my biking clothes (sans helmet, of course). The holes are in preparation for the movement of two large shrubs. Exciting, huh?
A few hours and a couple of glasses of sparkling lemonade later and I was on my way. It was a good 25 miles back to the house from there. Ahh, memories... The last time I rode this trail at this time of day/night I was overcome by excruciating knee pain. However, this time I was pain free!
Buuuuuuut my bike was a different story. I got a flat. Then I changed tires and THAT one got flat. CRAP. Since I was still about 5 miles from the house and taking a cab was out of the question, I had to settle for quickly pumping up the tire, SPRINTING for about half a mile then pumping it up and repeating the process all over again.
Never a dull moment, huh?






2 comments:
Sean, we haven't met, but I've read your blog through Dirk's blog (we train together and are on the GRC team), and I have to say I'm impressed by your work ethic and progress. Keep it up, dude, you have a new fan! Hopefully we'll cross paths at Hain's Point or the Wilson pool.
Hey Andy, aka Chicken Tender Runner. I've definitely heard mention of you in Dirk's blog before so it's great to finally "meet" you. Nice job on the half marathon, by the way. That's an insanely fast time! I'm usually at the pool Mon/Wed/Fri around 6:30pm so hopefully we cross-paths one of these times! Goodluck on your upcoming 5K.
Post a Comment