3-Day Update (Bonus Morning Swim!)
Friday, December 11, 2009
Tuesday
Baby steps on the trainer, again. About 33 minutes while watching an episode of Breaking Bad, but the knee started to feel a bit tight so I called it quits and enjoyed the fact that 33 minutes was better than 0 minutes. Then I did some abs and some push-ups.
Pad Thai for dinner... again. This is the 4th night in a row...
Wednesday
I dragged my ass out of bed at 5:50am. It was miserable. I could hear the rain splashing against the windows and walls of my apartment. The scooter was drenched, which meant I would be taking the bus to the pool for my first morning swim since last August. I expected to see the big guns out there making waves, but the pool was surprisingly uncrowded. Half-awake, I swam the following...
Speed Workout - 3000m
500m - warm-up
5 x 100m - 1:40, 1:41, 1:38, 1:41, 1:42 (1:40min/100m avg.)
5 x 200m - 3:39, 3:36, 3:38, 3:34, 3:37 (1:48min/100m avg.)
5 x 100m - 1:41, 1:42, 1:43, 1:41, 1:37 (1:41min/100m avg.)
100m - w/paddles (looked/felt like a fool... very uncoordinated)
400m - warm-down
I felt tired as hell during the 3rd 200m and eventually would fall into my "slow down and try to be more graceful with your form" mindset and that did not seem to cause me to sacrifice any time.
I did have a full-on collision with this horse's ass who thought when you pass someone it's proper etiquette to move ALL THE WAY OVER to the other side of the lane, instead of just swimming in the middle. I tried to hold back the frustration and waited for him to apologize but he just looked at me like I was in the wrong spot. I finally broke the silence with "what, no apology? nothing?" His response?... "No." I swam off. A few laps later he waved me down while I was between sets and very graciously apologized. That made me feel good, b/c we're both out here busting our asses together early in the morning. No hard feelings.
Overall, I was really proud of the fact that I was able to pull off the morning swim. As it did during the summer, it totally changes your attitude and outlook on the rest of the day in a pretty positive way (so long as you're not incredibly tired). I would very much like to try and make a habit of morning swims. Unfortunately that means going to bed at a decent time.
I'm feeling a self-discipline New Years resolution forming in my head...
(p.s. pad thai AGAIN for dinner... arrrRRRRRGHGHGHG!!!)
Thursday
More progress. I did 45 minutes on the bike trainer staying around 160bpm on the heart-rate monitor. The legs felt GREAT. I ate a healthy portion of pad thai right after work before the "ride," but I covered it in soy sauce to make it feel like I wasn't eating the same damn thing I've eaten for at least 7 or so meals already this week. I also forgot to drink anything before/during/after dinner, as well as have any type of hydration on-hand for the workout itself. Felt a little woozy toward the end there, but very VERY happy with this subtle progress, none-the-less.
More pad thai for dinner... only one more god-forsaken meal to go then I'm rid of that shit for at least another three months. Soy sauce is running low though and Sriracha just doesn't trick me anymore.

2 comments:
So this knee problem, it is something new just since cycling or an old "football" injury? If so have you had a real bike fitting?
Nah, this is something that has slowly developed from the moment I went from finishing the DC Tri to training for the Detroit marathon. I only rested for 2 days and ended up running 14 miles only 6 days later (a personal distance record).
It was nagging for most of marathon training, but then REALLY flared up when I did my 18 miler 1 1/2 weeks before the race itself. I took the next 8 days off hoping it would heal up but it didn't completely, and I still ended up doing the marathon, but at a much more conservative pace and with a friend (knowing i wouldn't be getting near my goal).
It sucked after the race and for the next week it was very unbendy. I did the RICE thing and figured it would go away. I then got ambitious and went for a 40-mile bike ride that ended up causing it to REALLY flare up.
No doctor yet (i know, i know...). I still can't run AT ALL on it. I've just recently felt good enough to hop on the trainer and monitor the pain. My best guess is some kind of patellar tendinitis, but I think I should go get it looked at b/c I'm getting nervous for this bleeding well into next year.
(post on this crap upcoming)
And no, I've never had a real bike fitting. Think I should invest in one?
Post a Comment