The Day of Jeff (and Some Workout Stats)
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Time to play a little bit of catch-up here...
Last Weekend Workout Totals
Cycling: 2 rides total, a 35 and a 40 miler.
Swimming: 1, but only 1000m - after a run, and I just wasn't feeling it
Running: 1 run, 2 miles - 1.0 incline, 7.5/8.0 mph split.
Weights: Abs and light-weights at the gym (after run, but before swim)
Monday
Crazy day at work so instead of swimming, my friend Patrick and I went and played tennis for a couple of hours to blow off some steam.
Volta Park in Georgetown (not "G-town Playground") - 2 Blocks From Work. On a side note, this is also where I did the majority of my swim-training... in that dinky little pool.
Tuesday
I have no idea what I did today, to be honest. Maybe I went running at the gym? Yeah, we'll go with that. I DID make a very meaty stew... does that count?
Wednesday
2,700m swim consisting of sets of 300m. It wore me out but I'm glad to have that 1,000m weekend swimming debacle behind me. I also found this place two blocks from the pool where I was able to drop my tennis racquet off to get restrung, and then pick it up an hour later after I was done with my workout. Nice!
HEAD Liquid Metal Prestige
Thursday
Two more hours of tennis after work today. I then went running and played with the weights. For my official record, it SUCKS to run after playing tennis for that long. You just have no spring left in your legs at all. It's like trying to start sprinting after you've just run a 10-mile tempo run - not easy! It's about time to raise the bar on the running distances again. We'll see how that goes this coming week.
Friday
I woke up early to get across town for a 9:00am bike ride with my friend Patrick. We'd be tackling mostly the same course we went at last week which happened to include a hill that brought me to my knees. I was determined to have a much stronger showing this time around and did, mostly, but was still dropped by Patrick rrrrrrrrrright near the end (1/8 mile left at most?). I rebounded and did a lot of the pulling for the rest of our ride, which brought me to a grand total of 50 miles! That is officially my longest ride of the year, second-longest of my life (55 is the current record, I do believe... although I went much faster on this last one I'm sure).
OK, so that wasn't entirely truthful... the ride actually only brought me to 48.15 miles (damnit!). I had to make it to 50 though, so I stayed on the bike and literally did LAPS AROUND MY BLOCK practicing riding w/o hands. I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but I hit 50 and learned how to confidently ride w/o hands so shutup.
Saturday
My co-worker Jeff's birthday was coming up sometime in the next month or so and I wanted to do something nice for him. Since I'm skipping town here in just over a month I've only got so many weekends left to hang out with people so we had to do this well ahead of Jeff's birthday. I organized a "Day of Jeff" where a bunch of his friends came over to his new house and did a shit-ton of yard-work. Now, understand that this man (Jeff) is handcuffed by a perpetual habit of over-thinking and over-planning things and not getting much done in the end. By us coming over in a group, we were able to brute force our way through many of the things Jeff wanted to accomplish, but in literally FRACTIONS of the time.
We moved two HUGE azaleas, pulled out and stacked over 300 bricks & 50 x 1'-square paving stones, cleaned gutters, moved countless small plants/flowers, leveled his entire front yard... annnnnnnd then shoveled and spread 13 tons of pea gravel.
Oh yeah, that's me!
Working hard, or hardly working? You be the judge.
I'll count that as my workout for the day.
Oh yeah, and then we ate a shit-ton of food (ribs that were smoked for 7 hours) and drank some fabulous beer. It was a good day.
Breakfast - Donuts, Bagels & Iced Coffee!
I really think more triathletes should eat like this.
I really think more triathletes should eat like this.
Jeff, manning the most awesome grill in the world.
The whole gang at the end of the day.


3 comments:
It looks like Jeff is sporting a new look since last I saw him.
That smoker is looks awesome...How was the BBQ?
Oh, what's with the buckeye colors in the new layout?!?
"My wife's brother died so she made me cut my hair for the funeral." (Jeff's words from last summer.)
That grill/smoker IS awesome. It's called the Big Green Egg. It's f-ing expensive though ($700). Patrick had a variant known as the Primo Kamado, but it tipped over and cracked like a.. well.. an egg. I've planted the seeds in Elaine's head to try and use some of the wedding money to get us one, but I'm not holding my breath.
And "hah!," that red is too dark to be the nasty OSU shade. Check out MGoBlog.com for some U of M spring game highlights.
Sounds like you had a solid week of training and fun! Well done.
Post a Comment