3 - A - Days and the Weekend Forecast

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

SATURDAY
I felt like taking it easy on the legs and body today after Friday's expedition so I just hit the gym for some ab-work and (light) weights.

SUNDAY
The legs felt surprisingly good today so I hopped onto the bicycle and did 30 miles on the flat grounds up at Hains Point. I had my roommate with me which meant slllowwwweeerrr speeds, although I did manage to put together 4 sprints. During the sprints, I was up around 28-29 mph, and even hit 30 at one point (a new high!). It's an awesome kind of suffering feeling when you're going balls-out like that. I had a major "WTF" moment though on the last sprint when I was pushing the 29.X's and two dudes riding aero passed me LIKE I WAS STANDING STILL. Jeeeeeeeeez. I did my best to try and dig deeper and hop on the 2nd guy's wheel but there was no way in hell that was happening. It was a good, simple recovery-workout and, due to the absence of hills during the workout, I was able to sprint up the three hills back to my house with EASE.

I then got to grilling. MMMmmmmmmmm!

 
Grilled Chicken Kabobs in a Curried Yogurt Marinade, Grilled Veggies, 
a Grilled-Pineapple Chipotle Pepper Salad, Spicy Black-Bean Salad 
and my last bottle of Dogfish Head Burton Baton.

MONDAY
Good news - I got back into the pool today! It was an ugly workout, but better than the last few swims that were downright ugly. I did the 500m warm-up, followed by 10 x 200m and then a 100m victory lap. The form was crap, the times were slow (1:45/100M avg. at best) but I kept the rest-periods honest and fought through the mental hurdles.

TUESDAY
Today was the mother of all workouts!.. well, at least it was a BIG day for workouts. At lunch I hopped out onto the tow-path and ran about 4.25 miles. The first half was a piece of cake, but the second half was a MUCH faster pace and I was pretty thrashed at the end. The calves were on FIRE.

After work, my friend Patrick and I hit the courts for about an hour and a half of spirited tennis. We had some really heavy hitters on the court next to us and didn't want to make ourselves look like asses so we tried to put on our own show. We held our own all right and wore ourselves pretty ragged by the end.

I got home and figured "what the hell," ate a banana and HIT THE GYM. (Light) weights and lots of abs later... and I was BEAT. I was full of that "good-tired" feeling. I loaded up on left-overs and settled in for a night of baseball-watching and early-to-bedness. It was... ahhh... a good day.

WEDNESDAY
The body was tired today and everything was sore - ESPECIALLY THE CALVES. Jesus, the calves were sore. I guess I really rook for granted the kind of shape my calves were in from regular running last summer, b/c this is ridiculous. Anyway... REST DAY! Tomorrow has some AM tennis on-deck and then hopefully another lunch-time run (calf-muscles be damned!).We've been working on video-taping our serves via the iphone so perhaps I can share some of that goodness one of these days.

No epic rides this weekend because I'm off in Michigan celebrating Elaine's graduation with a PHD from U of M's Nuclear Engineering program! And lucky us: we get to go see Barack Obama speak live at the commencements!

1 comments:

Aimee April 29, 2010 at 3:54 PM  

It sounds like you had a great workout week! I've so been there when I've been on my bike going super fast and I get passed...ugh!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP