Settling on a Training Program
Thursday, December 16, 2010
I've been floundering around looking for the right training program for me and came across a few that look promising. In the meantime, I've been in maintenance mode with my running so that I don't have to skew my search more toward those "couch to half-marathon" type of programs. Here are the current contenders, in no particular order:
1. Runners World Ultimate Half Marathon Training Plan
2. Hal Higdon Half Marathon Training - Intermediate
3. FIRST Half Marathon Training Program
And now, for some thoughts I have on each...
1. Runners World Ultimate Half Marathon Training Plan
Something that is equally attractive and unattractive right off the bat is that this is only a 9-week program. Of the three listed above, this is by far the shortest. This is great because all of my bitching about winter-running can perhaps be muted a bit since I will not have to "seriously" start training until January 22. In the meantime, I could work on building up more of a base for the increased mileage to come, as well as build up injury resistance through more strength training. On the other hand, this program leaves it entirely in my hands to figure out how to achieve a certain goal-time. Sure, there are some intervals in there, but apparently nothing longer than 800m or so. Also, there is only one run requiring double-digit miles, which troubles me since I have a goal-time and only one run to know whether or not I'm really close or not.
STRENGTHS - Short (9 weeks), simple and only 4 days of running
WEAKNESSES - Little emphasis on speed-work, longest run is 10 miles
2. Hal Higdon Half Marathon Training - Intermediate
I followed Hal's Novice Marathon training plan way back when I did the the Detroit Marathon. It was super easy and relaxed the whole way since it was all about distances and not speed. However, this race will be neither easy or relaxed, so I looked to his Intermediate program for any potential. I like that the program is 12-weeks, which would have me starting on January 1. It's a healthy amount of time to build up while not sacrificing potential speed for mileage acclimation. It utilizes tempo runs and speed-work, although again, the speed-work is lame by not cresting the 400m mark (wtf?!). I'm also wary of running 3 days back to back, then succumbing to an injury. I guess it just depends on whether I approach them as hard days or easy days.
STRENGTHS - Good length (12 weeks), small weekly mileage increase,
WEAKNESSES - The speed-work sucks, back-to-back-to-back running days, intensity in question
3. FIRST Half Marathon Training Program
I've been using the principles (and some workouts) of this program over the last couple of months to prepare for the 5K and 10K. (Remember I was a big fan of the book.) I like the speed training a lot, as well as all of the effort and detail put into calculating your individual workout goals depending on where your paces are at. I've also definitely found short-term results with this program. Plus, the workouts always kick my ass! However, the program is a 20-week program (!!!) that has you running 8 miles already the first weekend! My current longest run is what, a 10k?.. and I'm technically already 2+ weeks behind schedule, too! On the flip side, I love love love the reliance of this program on cross-training (cycling!). If only they had a shortened version (time-wise) of this program.
STRENGTHS - proven to work, great speed-work, great workout variety, cross-training reliant
WEAKNESSES - behind schedule already, mileage beyond my current threshold, too awesome
* * * * * * *
THE CONCLUSION
So... there it is. I like the FIRST program the most, but I'm obviously well-behind schedule on that one and don't have the weekly mileage average in my legs yet to dive in right now. The Hal Higdon one is very much a basic plan that I would most likely tweak to encompass more of the stuff I like in the other plans. The length and start-time of the program is very much ideal, though.
The Runners World plan... well shit... stupid me for not clicking through all four pages and noticing that there are more than one training plan. I was simply reviewing the beginner program until just a second ago. Looking ahead, the Intermediate plan is also appealing, but it includes running 5 times a week, which I'm not comfortable with. So, I don't really know where I'm at. Maybe I'll take a shot at splicing a few together and see where that gets me. If you've got any good resources for me, let me know. Otherwise, be on the look out for my bastardized attempt at a half marathon training program!
3 comments:
12 weeks is about right for a 1/2 marathon plan. Given that you're coming back from an injury, you probably want to avoid too much high intensity stuff, as appealing as it may be. I think you'd benefit most from a plan that allows you to consistently run and build up your mileage. Also, it is easy to supplement cross training for any easy day in a 5 day a week running plan. Just throw in a simple easy trainer session on the bike in place of the standard easy day following a hard workout. Good luck!
I was going to tell you to put your big boy shorts on and run 5-6 x week... but then saw the injury thing and decided to take it back :-)
If there is speed or hill work do them on the treadmill until you are back and stonger. Treadmill hills make you strong like bull!
I like treadmill hills as much as the next guy (::barfs::), but give me an idea as to what you might consider an acceptable range of incline for one to consider it a hill. For reference, I always do my "flat" treadmill miles at a 1.0 incline.
Post a Comment