TRI HARDER - October Newsletter
Monday, November 1, 2010
Running has picked back up which means I can again start targeting training goals and races, and... blogging!
Simply put, a great "by the numbers" book
As noted in my last post, I just finished reading "Run Less, Run Faster." It was a great read for just pure data that can seemingly help me achieve specific distance and time-goals. It has very useful charts that are supposed to give you a realistic outlook on what times you can ideally hit, should your training continue successfully.
I ran my 5K on Saturday in 23:31
This table shows what my predicted 10k, 13.1 and 26.2 times would be, adjusted for pace variations due to added distance. In other words, it doesn't just take your splits and do the simple math to up-convert.
I'm targeting the Nation's Half Marathon in late March as a possible first serious race for next season. Given where my fitness is at right now, this table puts my predicted time at around a 1:48:55 (an 8:18 min/mile average). While this would be a FANTASTIC time for me, I would very much like to do better than that, coming closer to a 1:40.
Half-marathon goal time = 1:40ish (7:38 min/mile)
HOWEVER, to do so would mean I would theoretically have to throw down around a 21:25 5k... or, knock about two minutes off of my PR. Ouch! Now, while this would be a daunting task to most, I have a perhaps misguided confidence that since I am just getting back into running I can expect to make some big gains early on. :) Stupid? Mayyybe...
Lets be honest though. The book taught me that I need to make realistic goals for myself. These goals have to be based on my training. Also, "goals" are not the same as "dreams." My dream is to run a 1:40 half-marathon. My goal is to run a 1:48:55 (anything more is icing on the cake, at this point at least).
What is the big picture, though? Well, a group of friends and I are planning to travel to Berlin next September to run the Berlin Marathon!
Ja! Ich will am besten bekommen!! (my very rusty Deutsch)
Coincidentally (or not at all), the Berlin Marathon takes place on the very first day of Oktoberfest! It's really the perfect storm, you see. We're using our collective desire to visit northern Germany as an excuse to choose the Berlin marathon, and the race as an excuse to go to Oktoberfest without feeling guilty! Five of the people in our group studied German (language) in highschool and were lucky enough to travel to southern Germany at the time. Interestingly, that is also where Elaine (now my wife) and I met for the first time (we were in separate German classes (and grades) back in Michigan). Seeing as how it also falls during the month of our first wedding anniversary, we felt it appropriate to just pile on another reason for why this whole thing makes sense.
Now that the cat's out of the bag, I need to come up with an adequate race-prep strategy that will help build endurance and speed in my legs without over-training. The simple, incomplete goal as of now is to run two serious half-marathons, and then the Berlin marathon itself. Of course, I'd also like to mix in some 5k's or 10k's to keep things fun! My first ideal half-marathon would be the Nation's Half Marathon in Washington, DC in late March. Not only would the weather be favorable, but I'd love the opportunity to travel back to where I called home for the last two years as well!
Training for the Nation's Half wouldn't start in earnest until right after Thanksgiving. For now, the focus is on upping my weekly mileage in preparation to start the training program, as well for the Detroit Turkey Trot 10k on Thanksgiving morning.
mmm... GOBBLE!
More on goals and what-not in the near future. Until then, follow my DailyMile widget on the right hand side (just above those laughably slow future goals and current PRs!).



2 comments:
Does that book give training plans corresponding to your expected times?
Absolutely! For instance... assuming your goal is to run a marathon, you can either use your goal marathon time (less recommended b/c it's not necessarily based on your current level of fitness) or your race results from a 5K, 10K or 13.1 (more recommended!).
If you go the backwards route of doing it from your goal marathon time (or expected time), you will have to work backwards to see if you can hit the 5K, 10K and 13.1 speed indicators. That's a good way to measure your chances of hitting the goal/expected time.
The whole training program is based on running only 3 days a week with cross-training (specifically swimming and biking) playing a CRUCIAL role in the success of the program. It's great for me (knee injury history) b/c it gets rid of a lot of junk miles.
Post a Comment