The Plight of the Winter Runner
Monday, December 6, 2010
I'd very much like to run the Nation's Half Marathon in Washington, DC on March 26, 2011 for a number of reasons. My time in DC was unarguably two of the best years of my life, with the list of things to see/do/eat being seemingly endless. That being said, my confidence is wavering as to whether or not I would be able to achieve the goals I am after. To start, lets look at the goals...
Half Marathon Goals
(A) 1:51:21, 8:30 min/mile
(B) 1:48:05, 8:15 min/mile
(C) 1:44:48, 8:00 min/mile
(D) Complete training uninjured
(BONUS Vanity Goal) Finish in 1:45:00 or less!
Now, considering I averaged an 8:03 min/mile in my last race, the Detroit Turkey Trot 10k (my first 10k!), I am confident that with the proper time + training I could achieve ALL of the above-listed goals, and do so uninjured. The speed comes slower than the miles, but with over 3 months until race-day I'm not worried. However, it appears on the surface that the road to 1:45:00 at the Nation's Half Marathon isn't exactly paved in gold.
The first and largest hurdle is this fast-approaching winter weather. I've already thrown in the towel (tights?) when it comes to cycling outdoors, but I've been holding out with regards to my running-game. The lowest temperature dip to-date has been in the low-to-mid 30s, which was COMPLETELY fine. Sure, it's cold when you start, but that quickly turns to *perfect* after 0.5 miles or so in. What I'm more concerned with are the sub-30 temps, and what comes with them - SNOW. In the past, I usually just retreat indoors to the treadmills and grind it out 1 mile/song at a time. However, I'm very skeptical as to the ability to successfully train for a half-marathon via treadmill workouts. Plus, I've never run further than 6 miles on a treadmill... and that was mentally hard enough.
Speed work is a big-part of training plan and while cold conditions will wreak havoc on the looseness of my muscles and the comfort of my lungs, snow/ice my prove to be a more major limiting factor. To that effect, I picked up a pair of Yaktrax Pro to assist me in what will hopefully be many forays into the snowy wild.
Another positive I'm using to try and convince myself to sign up for the Nation's Half Marathon is the fact that the winter solstice is a mere two weeks away. This means that in only two short weeks our days will FINALLY start getting longer (and brighter!) again instead of shorter (and darker). Cold, dark and snowy is a tough combo for me to crack, but take one of those things out of the equation and I think I've got a fighting chance at GETTING THE WORK DONE.
With all of those excuses and bitching out of the way, I'm definitely leaning toward signing up for the race. The website says it's on-pace to sell out in the next 3 weeks so I'll have to make my mind up quick. Has anyone ever dealt with a situation similar to this and, if so, what advice would you have for me?

4 comments:
Treadmills are not a bad way to train for races. I know a couple guys who are well into their 60s, still run sub-19:30 5ks, sub-40 10ks and they do nothing but train on treadmills. If you need to be on the treadmill, you won't lose anything. Just throw in some hills.
Of course running outside is better, but you don't lose much on the treadmill.
I clarify, my point is not that you're old :) ... rather that treadmill training is used by experienced runners as well.
Hah! Thanks Andy. I now have a renewed sense of confidence in treadmill running thanks to your endorsement. I ran a lot on the treadmill two winters ago and made a fair amount of improvement. However, with no real races until later that summer, I never had the opportunity to test my fitness.
i haven't used yaktrax, but i've been jealous of those that have them as i'm out slipping and sliding in the ice and snow...however, i will say that treadmills are HUGELY beneficial for speed work. I even use one for speed work in all seasons. Why? There's no cheating. It forces a certain speed. And this can lead to breakthrough! Plus, speed work in ice is just dangerous. easy/moderate and long runs are ok in the crazy weather, but running fast in treacherous conditions is just asking for injury...IMHO
Post a Comment