Running on a Hot Streak

Thursday, February 17, 2011

So I'm running on a bit of a hot-streak lately and I figure I should try and get some positive mileage out of the feeling before it ends. :) As of late, I've put in four runs in a row, all under an 8:00 min/mile pace! You're probably scratching your head and giggling to yourselves b/c a barely sub-8 pace in the racing/blogging community is more often a prerequisite rather than a bragging point. However, in my case, it's DEFINITELY a bragging point!

I knew things were on the up-and-up when last weekend's 6-mile run went nearly as well as could be. I was down in PA visiting family and knew there was a great plowed, uninterrupted trail that I could indulge myself in. It was one of those rail-to-trails which made me figure it was nearly pancake flat, i.e. perfect for speeeeeeed. So, with high hopes and higher confidence I set off. The first few miles were SPECTACULAR... as in sub 7:40min/mile spectacular (keep in mind my 5K PR is at 7:42min/mile). But thennnn, the turn-around hit. Whaaa uh oh! All of a sudden my 7:40s turned into 8:10s and 8:20s and the calves started feeling a little taxed. That's when I realized this trail wasn't exactly... well... flat. :) Lets take a look!

Is that the letter "v"???
Thankfully, I do "my best work" after the midpoint in a run. If I can keep my shit together until halfway through, that's when I can dial it in mentally and go for broke. So, when the hills came, so did the mental toughness! I put the hammer down and nailed my sub-8 goal.

As an encore, I nailed my two 4.5 mile runs from this week in under 8:00min/mile averages as well, sneaking the first run 1 second under my goal and then knocking 9 seconds off of the second one! Niiiiiiiiiice. Next up? Seven miles this weekend!

Ya know, after a rough stint there with some swollen knees, I started having some doubts about hitting an 8:00 min/mile average for the upcoming half-marathon. However, given the results of recent weeks, I feel like I'm right on track for achieving my goal. In the meantime, it's back to work trying to train smart and stay injury free.

Spring is right around the corner!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP