First Snow of the Year, AKA Indoor Treadmill Session

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Apparently we were expecting snow, and snow it did!


And then, a couple hours later...

Snnnnnowwwww!

I've had no problem at all running in absolutely pouring rain, but that was largely because it keeps me cool and I haven't had a problem with wet shoes and/or blisters. However, wet snow is a no-go. Case-and-point: on our way to the gym instead of running outdoors, and only halfway down OUR block, Elaine stepped into a puddle and soaked one of her shoes. Niiiiiiiiice. Of course, my obsessive and over-thought-out tendencies had me carry my running shoes in a double-lined plastic bag while sporting gortex shoes... so I was OK!

In the Spring leading up to the DC TRI, I had no problem running 4-6 miles at between 8.0 and 8.5 mph on the treadmill (at a 1.0 incline). I was a seasoned treadmill veteran at that point, having run 3-4 times a week for the last 6 or so months, continually trying to raise my speed 1mph at a time. So, when I did the calculations for my current workout I was happily surprised to see the 800m interval max speed at 8.5mph! Pfffffft... little did I realize that at this point I have neither the endurance OR the speed I had back then.

While I miscalculated the difficulty level of the workout, I also seemingly miscalculated the amount of time it would take to COMPLETE the workout. Ten seconds of simple math would've told me that to complete a 6-7 mile workout, I would need at least 50 minutes. Unfortunately, I arrived at the gym and hopped on the treadmill with only 40 minutes left before they closed. Oops! That aside, I still eclipsed the mileage total for the last two weeks of Monday workouts. Here are the stats:

3200m @ 18:27 (6.5 mph)
800m @ 3:32 (8.5mph)
400m R.I. 2:30 (6.0mph)
800m @ 3:32 (8.5mph)
400m R.I. 2:30 (6.0mph)
800m @ 3:32 (8.5mph)
800m cool-down

TOTAL - 4 1/2 miles @ 38:32 (I think)

I'm disappointed to only get in three intervals, as well as the fact that the total mileage for those intervals only comes to 1 1/2 miles. And while I technically eclipsed last week's Monday run-total by 800 meters, the 'quality' portion of the workout was what suffered, while the warm-up/cool-down accounted for the added mileage. I definitely need to take these speed workouts more seriously.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Tuesday brought a different morning routine. I got up extra early and tried out a different gym in my network (the Schenectady YMCA). It was AWESOME. After a long + lazy weight/ab session, I treated myself to the first cup of espresso that I'VE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE.

Prior to defilement via cream + sugar (in the raw!)

Bear in mind that I'm not a coffee drinker so this was a big step for me. I often hear from friends and read about athletes who really enjoy a good espresso. Mine was from an Italian bakery/cafe where I figured a good first-cup could be had. It was.. ok, I guess. Was it stupid of me to add a touch of cream and sugar??? :)  Whatever - I had no idea what I was doing, but at least pretended by drinking it sllooowwwlllly while reading emails on my iphone. Classy!

And then I went to the beer store and bought some liquid motivation for my weekly long runs.

What a line-up!

That's all for now. Stay tuned for my first trainer ride of the year, as well as a Monday Morning Quarterback look at the ONLY vegetarian chili recipe that will put hair on your chest! 

2 comments:

Kevin November 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Nice selection of beer!

Kevin
http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP