Last Minute Thoughts - Ambition vs. Reality

Friday, October 16, 2009

Perhaps it's a bit late to be completely honest with myself, but better late than never, right?

The right knee is an issue. It has not healed. It's clear something is wrong, although I'm pretty confident it is only an over-use injury and not something more serious, so I've mentally committed to run, no, participate in the marathon this weekend. I will not go for the 3:59:59 time that I was hoping for, and paced for, throughout training. That would set me up at risk of more serious injury far more so than simply jogging along.

However, all is not lost! My friend Javier has previously committed to running the marathon as well. Since he was training at a slower pace, I've decided I will stick with him at his pace throughout the entire race.

The goal now is just to finish, being careful to not go out of my way to screw my knee up any further. There is shame, yes, since I was preparing to do a lot more than just finish. But, oh well. Instead of focusing on running hard I can sit back and enjoy the festivities.

On a side note, I want to wish luck to Bryan, who is running the Bay State Marathon, and Andrea, who is running the Detroit Half Marathon.

Way to go, guys!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP